Thursday, December 17, 2015

Jinhao 8812 Rosewood Fountain Pen

by Tony Thomas

I'm always on the lookout for interesting fountain pens. When I saw the Jinhao 8812 , I knew that I wanted it. As someone who loves objects made out of wood, I found its rosewood body especially attractive. And at less than $8 on eBay, the price was right.

Here are some vital statistics:

Length (capped): 136mm
Length (uncapped): 119mm
Width: 13mm
Weight: 45 grams

Nib: #5 medium

The pen is a bit hefty and is solidly built.  Jinhao is usually pretty good in the QC department which is amazing considering the low price of their pens.  The 8812 is also a smooth writer (as most Jinhao pens are).  You can post it, but I found it to be too back-heavy when posted and too long (160mm).   It comes with an Jinhao converter and it can also take international standard ink cartridges.

This is a great pen for the money that will turn a few heads.

5 comments:

  1. Looks nice. I like 'wood" pens. May have to add this to my other Jinhao's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may also like the Jinhao 650. It comes in a wood grain finish much like this. Larger heavier pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at that one previously. I may have to add it to my list...

      Delete
  3. This is a neat pen, but small correction: It takes an international style converter. The Lamy converters don't work in Jinhao pens (or vice versa).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I meant is that the converter looks like a Lamy converter (it is the same one used in the 599A). However, it is an international-sized converter. I changed it to Jinhao converter to avoid any confusion.

      Delete